One Dressing, Eight Delicious Dishes
A simple poppyseed dressing can add a little something extra to plenty of dishes. Here are eight to try, courtesy of our chefs.
There is so much to love about poppyseed dressing… sweet onion… the tanginess of vinegar… the subtle pop of poppyseeds. “Whether you have a favorite store-bought brand or a treasured recipe for homemade, poppyseed dressing is one of the most versatile dressings you can serve,” says John Taylor, a member of the Panera Bread® Food Team. “I love the way it compliments a wide range of other ingredients.”
Here are eight of John’s favorite ways to use poppyseed dressing:
- Fill a pita with fresh greens, sliced cucumbers, chopped tomatoes, and paper-thin slices of sweet Vidalia onions. Drizzle with poppyseed dressing.
- Brush poppyseed dressing on fish fillets or use it to marinate chicken breasts, and then grill them for a flavorful main course.
- Make a side of green bean salad. Toss poppyseed dressing with blanched fresh green beans, and serve them chilled or at room temperature.
- Boost the flavor in fruit salad. Dice fresh fruit, add a little poppyseed dressing to taste, and mix well.
- Dip fruit bites like sliced apples or cubed pineapple and melon in a side of poppyseed dressing.
- Replace mayonnaise with poppyseed dressing in coleslaw. Add apples and nuts to enhance the flavor.
- Brush poppyseed dressing on sliced seasonal vegetables (try zucchini, onion, eggplant, and tomato) just before grilling.
- And, for those times when you are out on the town or on the road, try our seasonal Strawberry Poppyseed & Chicken Salad. Made with fresh strawberries, blueberries, and pineapple, it’s a fresh and satisfying meal.
Inspired by our seasonal salad, John whipped up this easy-to-prepare recipe for making your own dressing at home. Or you can now purchase this Panera Bread recipe in a bottle to take home from any Target store with a refrigerated produce section.
Homemade Poppyseed Dressing
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- 1/8 cup stevia sweetener
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced onion
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon poppyseeds
In a blender or food processor, combine the sugar, stevia, vinegar, orange juice, salt, mustard, and onion, and process for 20 seconds. With the blender on high, gradually add the oil in a slow, steady stream. Remove from the blender and stir in the poppyseeds.