- 3/4 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped jalapeño pepper, fresh or canned
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded reduced-fat pepper jack cheese
Dust chicken with oregano, cumin, salt, and pepper. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook until chicken is browned all over, 4 to 5 minutes, stirring now and then. Add onion, bell pepper and jalapeño pepper, and cook until onion is soft, 4 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Transfer to a 4-quart slow cooker.
Puree 1 can of beans with 1 cup of broth in a small food processor or with a stick blender until relatively smooth. Add to slow cooker along with remaining beans and broth. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3 1/2 hours.
Stir before serving. Sprinkle with cheese.
Tip: For a pretty garnish, swirl in some light sour cream and sprinkle on minced fresh cilantro.