- 2 tablespoons peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 3 to 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onions, celery, and bell pepper, and cook until soft, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 3 cups of broth and tomatoes. Bring to a simmer, and then reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently until the flavors blend, about 5 minutes.
Puree with a stick blender or in an upright blender or food processor (in batches if necessary). Return soup to pan and stir in peanut butter, salt, cayenne, and chicken. Heat through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Tip: To make this soup even more quickly, buy a rotisserie chicken and cut the meat into cubes.