Grown-Up Grilled Cheese
There’s more to this childhood favorite than American on white. Here’s a taste of our top 10 bread-and-cheese combinations - prepare to be inspired!
For many of us, biting into a grilled-cheese sandwich takes us back to our mothers’ kitchen table, with our feet dangling a few inches off the ground as we happily swing our legs. It’s a classic taste - which, by the way, has an entire month dedicated to it. That’s right, April is National Grilled Cheese Month. But we’ll take it anytime of year - and in all the delicious forms we can think of!
“Few other sandwiches lend themselves to so much variety,” says Mark McDonough of the Panera Bread® culinary team. “From artisan breads and cheeses, to flavor-rich add-ons like prosciutto, vine-ripened tomatoes, and fresh herbs, this is one sandwich that knows no bounds.”
Whether you lean toward the classic or the more inspired version, here are our top 10 ideas for turning your old childhood favorite into sophisticated grown-up fare.
- Sharp cheddar cheese, Dijon mustard, thin apple slices, and bacon strips on Stone-Milled Rye
- Thin prosciutto slices, fresh mozzarella, and a layer of fig jam on Ciabatta
- Assorted grilled vegetables (try mushrooms, zucchini, and onions) with Gruyère cheese on Asiago Cheese bread
- Cheddar cheese, caramelized onion, thin apple slices, and walnuts on Sourdough
- A mixture of light mayonnaise and adobo sauce (from canned chipotle chilies), thin red onion slices, cilantro, and extra-sharp cheddar cheese on Whole Grain
- Cheddar cheese, strawberry jam, and slivered almonds on slices of French
- Fresh feta cheese with thin tomato slices, a pinch of fresh oregano, salt and pepper on White Whole Grain
- Fresh mozzarella, roasted peppers, and paper-thin pepperoni slices on Focaccia
- Bacon, tomato, avocado, and Monterey Jack cheese on a Country Loaf
- And, finally, Mark’s personal favorite: grilled pimento cheese with bacon on thick slices of white bread with a generous amount of butter. “For me, it’s simply not a grilled cheese without that buttery crispiness,” he says.
And when you’re at our bakery-cafes, try our Tomato & Mozzarella Panini (fresh mozzarella, roasted and fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, and all-natural sun-dried tomato pesto on Ciabatta).