Last Updated: November 4, 2016
Panera collects both Personal Information and Other Information regarding users of the Services, either directly or through the activities of third-party suppliers and service providers (“Suppliers”) and/or franchisees. For purposes of this Policy, “Personal Information” is information that Panera can directly associate with a specific person or entity without additional information. “Other Information” is any information that is not Personal Information. We may combine Other Information with Personal Information, and in those circumstances we will treat the combined information as Personal Information. The Personal Information that Panera collects may include, for example:
- First and last name
- Date of birth
- Email address
- Phone number
- MyPanera number
- Financial payment details for purchases
- Financial and business information related to a franchisee applicant
- Financial and business information related to a catering applicant/customer
For information about Other Information we collect, please see the below portion of this “Information We Collect” section, as well as the “Usage Information” and “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” sections of this Policy.
Panera collects Personal and Other Information from various sources (including from our franchisees and Suppliers) that may include, for example:
- Information you provide directly when you use or otherwise interact with the Services, complete a survey, contact us through our Customer Care Center at panera.custhelp.com, provide feedback and/or submissions, make a press inquiry, or submit information through the Services or in connection with a Program.
- Information recorded as a result of your interaction with us, our Suppliers or franchisees and/or use of the Services (including information we receive when you use your Program member card(s), historical sales information, your location information and information about the device you are using) or through our marketing activities (see the “Usage Information” and “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” sections below).
- Information we collect about you from third parties in order to supplement our existing information about you. For example, your occupation, general geographic location, media and brand preferences, inferred interests, demographic information, purchase behavior, public online activities, and other information about you or your household.
- Information that you provide as part of entering a contest or sweepstakes online through the Services or through a third-party website. This information will be used as described in the applicable Official Contest/Sweepstakes Rules.
- Information that is publicly available, for example information you submit to a blog, chat room or social media network like Facebook or Twitter.
- Information submitted in an online form for individuals interested in becoming a franchisee. Such information may be used in any application for a Panera Bread franchise that you might later submit.
- As described elsewhere in this Policy, the Terms, and/or applicable Program terms, or at the time such information is collected.
We may combine information we collect about you, and may combine information we collect about you with information we collect from other sources, for example, our advertisements that you see. See “Usage Information” and “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” sections of this Policy.
Panera, our franchisees, or our Suppliers may use Personal and Other Information in a number of ways, for example:
- To help us better understand and serve our customers.
- To contact you by email, phone, text or other method regarding our products and services, including matters related to your account, your order, or your future catering needs.
- To provide you with, or otherwise respond to your submissions or requests for, information and/or services, including but not limited to providing e-newsletters, webcasts, text messages, push notices, marketing, and other programs; responding to Customer Care, catering and other inquiries; and letting you know if you qualify for one of our Programs (for example, our Day-End Dough-Nation program).
- To provide Services, Program and services functionality and administer the Services, Programs and services, including to let you sign up for an account, provide you with Program benefits, verify your participation in a Program or service, process orders placed and applicable payments, track submissions, and make your historical ordering information available to you. Note that third-party information you provide (for example, your friend in a forward-to-a-friend program) may be maintained in connection with your submission. Please note that we may suspend, cancel, or combine MyPanera or other accounts through the Services if they appear to be duplicative.
- To send you promotional messages regarding new products or services, events in our bakery-cafes, events that Panera or our franchisees sponsor, including but not limited to contests, sweepstakes and surveys, and special offers and marketing programs, which may include information about our affiliated company(ies), franchisees, and/or other programs with which any of us or them are involved, and/or information about third party products, services, offers or programs.
- To invite you to participate in surveys. Survey responses received by Panera may not be in an anonymous format and may be associated with your Program account or other Personal Information.
- To notify you of nearby bakery-cafe locations based on your precise location, or to provide other location-based services (such as certain push notifications) if you permit our Services to collect such information. If you do not want to share your precise location with Panera, you may adjust your location preferences on your computer or device.
- To enhance our customers’ and Service users’ experiences in our bakery-cafes, on the Services or in a Program, and enhance the sales efforts of Panera and/or our franchisees.
- To conduct research and analysis and to otherwise measure the effectiveness of the Services, Programs and our online and offline marketing efforts, and to develop and implement products, services, and marketing programs. This may include combining Personal Information with Other Information and other Personal Information drawn from online and offline sources.
- To work with third parties to append data to our records or enable other parties to append Other Information to their records.
- To coordinate Program activities and communications with other communications and marketing programs conducted by us and/or franchisees.
- For purposes of targeted or customized advertising or messaging to you, including as described in the “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” section below.
- To learn more about potential investors in our company.
We may share your Personal and/or Other Information with third parties as described in this Policy and for our business purposes including, for example:
- To our Suppliers who are performing services for us, including without limitation companies that host our Services or information systems, deliver communications on our behalf, make gift card and e-gift card services available to you, or otherwise assist us with providing the Services to you.
- To our affiliates, franchisees, business units, Suppliers, consultants and agents, and to other third parties, including as part of our consideration of any franchise application.
- To third parties when you share information directly through the Services. For example, the Services may contain links to third-party websites that incorporate comments and social media features. The Services also contain a Facebook “like” button and a Twitter “follow” button. If you choose to use these features or other comment or sharing features provided through the Services, you may disclose your Personal Information not just to third-party websites and services, but also to their users and the public more generally. See the “Third-Party Sites” section below.
- To third parties in the event of a proposed or actual merger, acquisition, bankruptcy, financing, sale, or other transfer of some or all of our business or assets.
- To Suppliers and other third parties in aggregated and/or anonymous form, such as sharing aggregated statistics about users of the Services for Panera’s, Supplier’s, and third party(ies)’ business purposes or otherwise.
- To third parties so they can tell you about their products, services, offers and programs which work with or are otherwise related to Panera’s, its affiliates’ and/or franchisee’s products, services and offers. For example, we may share your information with a payment processor in order for them to tell you about how their services work with Panera’s services.
To learn about opting out of the sharing of your Personal Information, see the “Your Choices and Changing Your Information” section.
Like most websites, apps and other like services, the Services gather traffic patterns, usage information, and similar data. This usage data may identify you individually and we may associate it with Personal Information that we collect from you on the Services and related to any Program(s) you participate in and as otherwise described in this Policy. (See the “Information We Collect” and “How We Use the Information We Collect” sections of this Policy and any applicable individual Program terms for more details.) We may use this data in aggregated form or share aggregated statistics about visitors to the Services with others outside of Panera, and we may allow third parties to collect and aggregate Other Information through the Services and/or Supplier sites accessible from or through the Services.
- “Pixels” or “web beacons” are lines of code used by a website or third-party ad server to cause a cookie to track a user’s activity on particular sites and/or using particular advertising/links, for example, to record that a user has visited a particular webpage or viewed a particular email, and to collect other information about that user on that site, including the IP address of the computer (and therefore infer information, such as geolocation), web pages being viewed, date/time viewed, and user activity on a particular page.
We and our Suppliers may implement and evaluate our marketing activities and programs, including to engage in targeted and personalized online advertising on the Services, on third-party websites, mobile apps, TV, or other online or offline services operated by third parties. This marketing may be targeted to you based on Personal or Other Information collected over time, such as through your participation in the Programs, your activity on the Services, your activity on unaffiliated third-party sites, mobile apps, or other online services, other marketing activities and Programs, and/or from third parties with whom we work. We and our Suppliers, including without limitation Facebook, may use Tracking Technologies (as described under “Usage Information” above) to collect information for such marketing and evaluation purposes. For example, our Suppliers may use the fact that you visited the Panera website to deliver ads to you on non-Panera websites, or they may use the fact that you used the Panera mobile app to deliver ads to you on non-Panera mobile apps. We and our Suppliers may also identify whether our marketing activities and programs resulted in you engaging in other activities on our Services, our advertising and/or marketing, making purchases from us and/or our franchisees, visiting bakery-cafes, or otherwise engaging with us. In addition, we and our Suppliers may target Panera ads to you on your TV or other online services if we or our Supplier have identified you as a Panera customer using information we share with them, such as your name, email address, or mailing address.
We and our Suppliers may use collected information to establish connections among related web browsers and devices (such as smartphones, tablets, computers, and TVs) for targeted advertising, analytics, attribution, and reporting purposes. We and/or our Suppliers may match your browsers or devices if you log into the same online service on multiple devices or if your devices share similar attributes that support an inference that they are used by the same person or household. This means that your online behavior (information about your activity on websites or apps on your current browser or device) may be combined with information collected from your other browsers or devices. For example, our Suppliers may use this information to deliver an ad on your tablet or smartphone, to limit the number of times you see an ad across your devices, and to help measure the effectiveness of advertising campaigns across devices.
You may opt out of certain of our or our Supplier’s targeted marketing practices in web browsers and mobile applications by following the instructions below. Please note that the opt-out will apply only to the specific browser or device from which you opt out. You will need to opt out separately on all of your browsers and devices. If you delete or reset your cookies or mobile identifiers, change browsers, or use a different device, any opt-out cookie or tool may no longer work and you will have to opt out again. Note that some Suppliers may also make their own opt-out process available. Please note that even if you choose to opt-out of receiving targeted advertising, you may still receive advertising about Panera – it just will not be tailored to your interests.
- Web Browser Opt-Out. To opt out in web browsers, please visit the Network Advertising Initiative Consumer Opt-Out Page at www.networkadvertising.org/choices, the Digital Advertising Alliance Consumer Choice page at www.aboutads.info/consumers, and the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada Consumer Choice page at www.youradchoices.ca/choices. Our Services currently do not respond to Do Not Track browser signals, but some of our third-party Suppliers may permit you to opt out using Do Not Track functionality.
- Mobile Application Opt-Out. To opt out in mobile apps, please download the Digital Advertising Alliance’s AppChoices tool at www.aboutads.info/appchoices and adjust the advertising preferences on your mobile device. For example, to adjust your advertising preferences in iOS, visit Settings > Privacy > Advertising > Limit Ad Tracking; to adjust your advertising preferences in Android, visit Settings > Google > Ads > Opt out of interest-based ads.
If you would like to request that Panera limit the use or sharing of your Personal Information for other targeted marketing purposes, such as to deliver targeted ads to you on your TV (where available), or other online service based on your Personal Information, please contact us by accessing our Customer Care Center at panera.custhelp.com. If your Personal information has previously been shared with our Suppliers or other third parties, any request to limit such sharing may not be effective with respect to such previously shared Personal Information. Some of the Suppliers that display our ads on their services may provide you with additional choices to opt out of targeted advertising. For example, social media and TV providers may allow you to control your advertising preferences directly through their services. Please review the privacy policies of the third-party services you use for more information.
The Services are not directed toward children under the age of 13, and we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children under the age of 13. If you are between the ages of 13 and 18, please ensure that you use the Services with the permission of a parent or guardian. You must be 18 to use some portions of the Services. If a child under 13 provided this Site with Personal Information, we ask that a parent or guardian contact us by accessing our Customer Care Center at panera.custhelp.com, call us at 394-866-1000 or write us at Customer Resource Group, Panera Bread, 3630 S. Geyer Road St. Louis, MO 63127, so that we may promptly delete the child’s information from our records.
Panera maintains reasonable physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your Personal Information. Unfortunately though, we can’t guarantee that any safeguards or security measures will be sufficient to prevent a security problem. If you believe your account(s) have been compromised or your member card is lost or stolen, please immediately contact us by accessing our Customer Care Center at panera.custhelp.com and take immediate action to remove the credit card, Panera gift card, or other payment information associated with your account(s). Email submissions over the Internet may not be secure, so please do not include any sensitive or confidential information in your message to us.
Personal and Other Information may be transferred to and stored on computers and servers located in the United States and other countries located outside your country of residence. The laws of these countries may not offer a level of privacy protection for Personal Information as great as that offered in your country of residence. Further, Personal Information might be disclosed to governments or law enforcement agencies in these countries where required by law. By agreeing to this Policy, using the Services, and/or sharing your Personal Information with Panera, you consent to such transfer.
We provide you with the ability to review or change certain of your Personal Information and make certain choices about how we use or share Personal or Other Information. You may review, change, or exercise choice regarding certain of your Personal or Other Information as follows:
- To update, verify, or delete certain of your Personal Information, please edit the applicable account. If you need assistance, please contact us by accessing our Customer Care Center at panera.custhelp.com. Note that not all fields are able to be changed.
- To opt out of certain analytics tracking, online advertising and third-party tracking, see the “Usage Information” and the “Analytics” and “Opt-Out Choices” subsections of the “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” section above. To stop sharing your precise location information with us, you may adjust your location preferences on your device.
- To request that Panera does not share your Personal Information with third parties for their own marketing purposes on a going-forward basis, please contact us by accessing our Customer Care Center at panera.custhelp.com.
In some cases this information may not be immediately updated, subject to retention for Program administration, dispute resolution, troubleshooting, and other valid legal or business reasons. Your historical usage information may remain in our records. Also see the “Usage Information” and “Analytics” and “Opt-Out Choices” sub section of the “Third Party Analytics and Targeted Marketing” section above for other limitations. Other choices may be available within your account page or presented to you in certain marketing communications.
California Civil Code Section 1798.83 permits customers of Panera who are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. To make such a request, please contact us by accessing our Customer Care Center at panera.custhelp.com or write us at: Customer Service, Panera Bread, 3630 S. Geyer Road St. Louis, MO 63127.
© 2009-2016 Panera Bread. All Rights Reserved.